The Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center is now accepting nominations for the 2020-2021 Global Change Fellows program. This program is designed to train the next generation of global change scientists by providing financial, scientific, and professional development support for graduate students who are interested in multi-disciplinary research. NC State Faculty Affiliates may nominate up to two students who are currently enrolled or are incoming students to an NC State Master’s or PhD program, though only one student can be accepted per affiliate. Applications are due by 5pm ET on February 7, 2020. Selection announcements will be made by the end of February.
Please submit your completed nomination packet to the portal below as a single PDF file using the following nomenclature (lastname_firstname_SECASC_GCF_2020.pdf) by February 7, 2020.
- 2020-21 Global Change Fellows Announcement
- 2020-21 Global Change Fellows Nomination Form
- 2020-21 Nominee Personal Statement of Interest
– Not a Faculty Affiliate, but interested in nominating a student? Apply here!
– Interested in nominating a student, but not sure if their research interests align with our mission?
Check out our Global Change Fellows webpage to see the multidisciplinary research projects that our current and former fellows have worked on.
– Please contact Aranzazu Lascurain if you have any questions about the nomination process.
Student requirements for the Global Change Fellows Program:
- Students should be familiar with the mission and priorities of the SE CASC and reference these in their one-page statement of interest
- Students must attend the Field Intensive workshop in August (exact dates will be announced soon)
- Students will work on teams to plan three Global Change Seminars per semester
- Students will attend monthly check-in meetings
- Students will complete a Researcher Spotlight highlighting their research and experience in the program
Dates of Interest:
Application Due Date: February 7
Selection Date: end of February
Commitment Date: mid-March
Testimonials from former Global Change Fellows:
The GCF program has provided me with two crucial things that now distinguish me from my peers: opportunities and introductions. As a Global Change Fellow I was given the opportunity to travel to Washington D.C. to participate in science briefings, to lead seminars hosting top researchers, and to pursue research that I see a great need for and unencumbered by other obligations. The program also introduced me to other Fellows from a wide array of disciplines and USGS CASC researchers, all of whom have expanded my view of what climate change adaptation truly means and challenged me to broaden the scope of my research in meaningful ways.
— Tina Mozelewski, 2018-2019 Fellow
Being part of GCF was an extraordinary transformative experience. Exposure to global and holistic approaches of high rigor, combined with interactions with colleagues from multiple disciplines, creates unique conditions to stimulate and develop critical thinking. This not only allows us to understand the complexity of the planet from multiple perspectives, but also to offer creative and effective solutions based on sustainability parameters. All these capabilities led to my current professional achievements.
— Wilmer Reyes, Newly appointed President of the National Agricultural University of Honduras and 2016-2017 Fellow