Southeast CASC Now Accepting 2021-2022 Global Change Fellow Nominations

The Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center is now accepting nominations for the 2021-2022 Global Change Fellows program. This program is designed to train the next generation of global change scientists by providing financial, scientific, and professional development support for graduate students who are interested in multi-disciplinary research. NC State Faculty Affiliates may nominate up to two students in an NC State Master’s or PhD program, though only one student can be accepted per affiliate. Applications are due by February 7, 2021. Selection announcements will be made by the end of February.
The 2021-2022 cohort of Global Change Fellows will consist of 12 graduate students. We are especially seeking incoming PhD students to fill five of those openings.

Faculty Affiliates will be receiving an email soon with information about how to submit application materials.
– Not a Faculty Affiliate, but interested in nominating a student? Apply here!
– Interested in nominating a student, but not sure if their research interests align with our mission?
Check out our Global Change Fellows webpage to see the multidisciplinary research projects that our current and former fellows have worked on.
– Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about the program.
– Please contact Aranzazu Lascurain if you have any questions about the nomination process.

Student requirements for the Global Change Fellows Program:

• Students should be familiar with the mission and priorities of the SE CASC and reference these in their one-page statement of interest
  • Students must attend the Field Intensive workshop in early August (exact dates will be announced soon)
  • Students will work on teams to plan at least two Global Change Seminars per semester
  • Students will enroll in a one-credit hour course in the Fall and Spring semesters
  • Students will complete a Researcher Spotlight highlighting their research and experience in the program
  • Students will participate in other professional development opportunities throughout the year

Dates of Interest:

Application Due Date: February 7, 2021
Selection Date: End of February
Commitment Date: March 15, 2021

The 2020-2021 Cohort of Global Change Fellows gathered for a socially-distant group photo.

Testimonials from former Global Change Fellows:

“The SE CASC Global Change Fellows Program has given me a framework for productively and respectfully bringing stakeholders into my research and vice versa. My understanding of the nuanced process of aligning research and management interests has grown as a result of this program. I expect this appreciation for collaboration to guide me throughout my scientific career.”
— Rachel Sussman, 2019-2020 Fellow

“One of the main ways that the SE CASC Global Change Fellows Program has impacted me is that it gave me training on decision making and stakeholder engagement which will be vital in my urban work. I believe I am better able to work with community needs instead of trampling communities with my own ideas on how to make things better. The SE CASC Global Change Fellows Program has also allowed me to think on a broader scale. Their travel funding allowed me to attend a summit on “The Nature of Cities” in Paris, France where I was able to interact with politicians, scientists, landscape architects and designers from all over the world to talk about how they envision the future of nature in cities, how we can build more sustainable cities, and how to make green living affordable for all. I was able to compare urban conservation work in the United States to various other countries and exchange ideas on how to build a better future.”
— Deja Perkins, 2018-2019 Fellow